ICAN does not recommend care providers. Many local chapters will collect names of providers who support VBACs and Family Centered Cesareans, but ICAN realizes that choosing a care provider is a personal choice and no one provider is right for every person. Each person should determine on their own what they will need in labor, and find a care provider whose values and personality line up with their needs. Start the process of finding a care provider by talking with peers about their experiences, and then consider scheduling consults to discuss your birth plan. Some states will also make cesarean and VBAC statistics available by hospital. You can also check to see if your hospital currently has a ban on VBAC. You might want to call the hospital yourself to determine their current policies, as guidelines may change without notice. Remember that you can change care providers at any time in your pregnancy.
ICAN divides the money collected from memberships between the local chapter and the national organization, when a local chapter is named as beneficiary. Local chapters keep 30% of the membership funds to use for meetings, events, activities, or education as needed. The remaining 70% is used by the national organization to pay for the website and software, tax assistance, insurance, postage, and all things that keep organizations of this size running. ICAN operates with a very small budget, and the Board of Directors works hard to use those funds wisely. ICAN is 100% volunteer led and operated, including the Board of Directors.
Membership in ICAN is available at several different levels, beginning at a 1-year supporting membership of $30. Members receive benefits based on the level of membership, and all items are subject to change. Throughout the year, ICAN provides free or discounted access to educational webinars featuring birth professionals from many fields. While most of ICAN’s services do not require membership, we urge anyone who believes in ICAN’s mission to become a member in order to support our work. Visit (Join page) to join ICAN today.
ICAN is an all-volunteer organization. The ICAN board of directors consists of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and other Board Members as needed. In addition, Regional Coordinators help support local chapters, which are led by official chapter leaders. An Executive Team leads various volunteer projects for ICAN. Contact information for the current leadership team is available on the Contact page.
ICAN was founded in 1982 in the United States as the Cesarean Prevention Movement, in response to a birth climate that enforced a “once a cesarean, always a cesarean” rule. In the 21st century, the rate of cesarean births in the United States has skyrocketed to 33%. While ICAN believes that cesareans do save lives when used appropriately, we recognize that the increase in the number of cesareans has not resulted in an increase in healthy mothers and babies. ICAN has worked tirelessly to encourage evidence-based birth practices, and educating mothers about their choices in birth.